CHILD GUIDANCE POLICY & PROCEDURES
- We are committed to supporting children’s development through respecting their individual differences, facilitating their ability to learn and work co-operatively, and promoting their self-esteem.
- The purpose of this policy is to support our employee’s ability to develop a sense of self-discipline and self-worth in every child attending the Vegreville Preschool/Head Start program.
- Each child will be treated with respect and dignity. There will be no verbal or physical abuse of any child at any time. Strategies implemented will be proactive; for extreme behaviors removal from the situation may be necessary. Actions taken must be reasonable in the circumstances.
- Program Staff will take a proactive approach. Positive behaviour will be modeled and reinforced by staff.
- Program staff recognize their role in facilitating and encouraging positive behaviour in participants.
- Program staff will guide behaviour through positive strategies such as redirection, anticipation, positive reinforcement, role modeling and encouragement in the 2022/2023 School Year.
- Program staff will be attentive to environmental and program structure factors that encourage positive behavior.
- Program staff will make participants aware of program rules and age-appropriate expectations.
- Program staff have the primary responsibility for maintaining program discipline.
- Program staff will ensure that program activities are developmentally appropriate, smooth and well-
- planned transitions between activities are made and establish consistent routines.
- In circumstances where behaviour difficulties arise and warrant more specific strategies, i.e. child’s
- behaviour is disruptive to the class as a whole, or the child is aggressive towards another child or adult, a child may be required to be removed from the activity to a quiet space to allow time for the child to calm down and settle before rejoining the group.
- Once the child has settled, staff will discuss behavior with the child and explore alternatives.
- All aggressive and disruptive behaviour will be discussed with the parents/guardians by appropriate staff:
Preschool Program: Teacher and/or Educational Assistant(s), as required
Head Start Program: Teacher, and/or Educational Assistants(s) and/or Executive Director
- If after a period of consistent implementation of strategies, staff do not see improvement in child’s
- behavior, consultation and/or further assessment may be required, with the permission of the parent/guardian.
- The following use of PUNISHMENT is prohibited from the program:
- Inflict or cause to be inflicted any form of physical punishment, verbal or physical degradation or emotional
- Deny or threaten to deny any basic necessity, or
- Use or permit the use of any form of physical restraint, confinement or isolation.
- The use of physical restraint in the classroom is not permitted, except in instances when the child is at
- immediate risk of injuring him/herself or others.
POLICY AND PROCEDURE MANUAL
- The Vegreville Preschool encourages parents who are looking for information on our policies and procedures, which include our discipline policy, illness management, critical incident reporting, medication administration procedures and supervision policies, to please inquire with the teacher. If you would like a copy of these policies, we will be happy to provide you with an electronic or paper copy as per your request.
The 2023/2024 Preschool year will begin on Sept 5, 2023 and the last day of school will be June 14, 2024. Orientation days for students and parents will be on August 30th and 31th, 2023. Details will be emailed to you in mid August.
- The Preschool will be closed:
- September 4, 2023 (Labour Day)
- September 30, 2023 (Truth & Reconciliation Day)
- October 9, 2023 (Thanksgiving Day)
- November 6 to 10, 2023 (Fall Break)
- November 11 Remembrance Day
- December 25, 2023 to January 5, 2024 (Christmas Break)
- February 19, 2024 (Family Day)
- March 25 to 28, 2024 (Spring Break)
- March 29, 2024 (Good Friday)
- April 1, 2024 (Easter Monday)
- May 20, 2024 (Victoria Day)